Created in 2001, the program has awarded 160 scholarships (dollar amounts ranging from $250 to $2000) totaling over $176,750 to college-bound students and active college students. Several of the students have returned to their hometown to serve their community, whether it's here at Fulton County Medical Center, a private practice or clinic.
In 2019, 22 area students were awarded scholarships totaling $33,500, including eight from high school, 13 college undergraduates and one college post-graduate.
The high school recipients from the Class of 2019 are:
- Katherine Bard (Southern Fulton) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Samantha Bolden (Southern Fulton) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Bailey Burkett (Southern Fulton) - Betty Lea Henderson Nursing Scholarship
- Zoe Cutchall (Forbes Road) - Betty Lea Henderson Nursing Scholarship
- Drew Gordon (Southern Fulton) - Clair and Dorothy Miller Scholarship
- Kearanie Hopkins (Central Fulton) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Leah Keefer (Washington County, MD Technical School) - Patriot Federal Credit Union Scholarship
- Cheyenne Miller (Southern Fulton) - Betty Lea Henderson Nursing Scholarship
The 13 undergraduate recipients are:
- Hannah Brady (Liberty University) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Claire Brubaker (Chatham University) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Mandy Cook (Penn State-Mont Alto) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Dylan Gordon (Saint Francis) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Cooper Grover (Shippensburg University) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Kimberly Jones (Wilson College) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Ian Lancaster (Penn State-Altoona) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Kathryn Leese (Wilson College) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Bronwyne Mellott (Penn State-Altoona) - Paul and Louie Stahl Memorial Nursing Scholarship
- Carl Potter (Shippensburg University) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Paige Sechrist (Wilson College) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Madison Spade (Indiana U. of PA) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
- Christopher Wilson (Lock Haven University) - FCMC Foundation General Scholarship
The post-graduate recipient is:
- Devin Welsh - McLucas Scholarship recipient - pursuing a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine
The Russell McLucas, MD, Post-Graduate Scholarship
Loy Garber, who chairs the FCMC Foundation Scholarship Committee, said: "We are honored to award these scholarships, made possible by the Henderson Foundation’s generous gift."
Betty Lea Washabaugh was raised in Fulton County. After attending school and working locally, Betty Lea went off to nursing school in Philadelphia. She completed her training at Philadelphia General Hospital, two blocks from Drexel Institute of Technology where Wilbur was attending school. Wilbur was a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Army in World War II, having fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a distinguished member of the 82nd Airborne Division, 508th Parachute Infantry. The two met at a weekend dance. After marriage, she spent most of her time as a school nurse.
"Betty Lea was a nurse, so this scholarship gift to Fulton County Medical Center is especially gratifying to my family," said Andy Washabaugh of his sister and a Trustee with the Henderson Foundation. "I know the Fulton County Medical Center Foundation is helping support healthcare careers in our community with their scholarship program. With this annual gift, that support will only get stronger and keep Betty Lea’s legacy alive in our community."
The Clair and Dorothy Miller Scholarship
Mike Straley, Executive Director of the FCMC Foundation, said: "We are grateful to the Dr. McLucas Family, the Hendersons, the Millers, Mrs. Sites and to Patriot Federal Credit Union for providing these scholarships. In addition, our general scholarship fund helps support this program as well. Our scholarship committee focuses not only on a student’s academic record, extracurricular activities
You can assist our scholarship program by making a tax-deductible donation either online or by mail. Please denote your contribution to the FCMC Foundation Scholarship Fund.
Send it to:
214 Peach Orchard Road
McConnellsburg, PA 17233
2020 Applications Available February 1st, 2020!
FCMC Foundation Scholarship Committee:
Loy Garber (chairman) - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Trudy Everhart - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Mike Straley - FCMC Foundation Executive Director
Helen Overly - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Becky Greenawalt - Quality Program Coordinator
Brenda Ross - Director of Education
Sally Gresty - Former FCMC Clinical Educator
Chris Boryan (facilitator) - FCMCF Grants and Donor Relations Manager
DID YOU KNOW:
A great way to honor a member of the FCMC Medical Staff (former or current) is to create an endowed scholarship fund in honor or memory of the individual. Click on planned giving or contact Mike Straley for more information.